Experts and BHG readers answer.
How many pounds of ground beef do I need to serve soppy joes to 25 people?
How many pounds of ground beef should I buy to serve sloppy joes to 25 people? How many people will one pound of ground beef serve if I used it to make and serve sloppy joes?
We call for 1 pound of ground beef in our sloppy joe recipe (below) and that makes 6 sandwiches. To make 25 sandwiches, buy at least 4 pounds of ground beef. Of course, you will need to increase your purchase if each person eats more than one sandwich.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground pork
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 small)
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Dash bottled hot pepper sauce
- 6 kaiser rolls or hamburger buns, split and toasted
1. In a large skillet cook beef, onion, and sweet pepper until meat is brown and vegetables are tender, stirring to break up any meat. Drain off fat.
2. Stir tomato sauce, water, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, and hot pepper sauce into beef mixture in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on rolls. Makes 6 sandwiches.