Ask Better Homes & Gardens

Experts and BHG readers answer.

How can I update a fluorescent light fixture?

I have fluorescent lights (3 panels) in my kitchen ceiling. What would be an easy remodel of this light fixture to update the kitchen lighting?
Submitted by karenzirossmith

Community Answers1

Answer this Question
Enter an Answer to this Question

500 characters left

Depends on your ceiling-is it the drop down grid system and the lights are called a troffer and are above the grid but look flush on the underside-or are they fluorescents mounted on an exsiting ceiling. If troffers, I would rip it down and redo the exsiting ceiling and have it wired for a surface mounts. If they are already surface mounted replace them w/another light! Different colored bulbs may also be an option for more light! Get used to the fluor bulbs, cuz incadescents are on headed out!
Submitted by cjbrennan341